Diocese of Jalandhar has established a Social Work center named Navjeevan having its office at bishop’s house, Civil Lines; Jalandhar. The Diocese has been in the field of social service since 1972. Its commitment to reform the society through quality education, selfless service to the less privileged, marginalized and the poor, are well appreciated by one and all. However the need to do more was felt during the Diocesan perspective planning. The need to initiate and strengthen an empowerment process, where the poor become the main stake holders, decision makers, and nation builders was also felt. The objective of the Social Services Center is to promote, sponsor, undertake and carry out social and economic welfare of, or uplift of the people in any area for diffusion of useful knowledge, and to assist promotion or execution of any act of charity for the common good for humanity and mankind. The centre is also carry out programs for promoting social and economic welfare of or uplift of the people in the diocesan area.
Social, political, cultural and economical development of every person/ humanity has always been of great concern for the universal church. In accordance with the teachings of the Holy See from time to time and with the inspiration of the holy spirit, Bishop Anil Joseph Thomas Couto , Diocese of Jalandhar, Conceived the idea of beginning a new society for the very purpose.
Under able and dynamic leadership of Bishop Anil Joseph Thomasn Couto, Bishop of Jalandhar and his visionary council of consulters who built the Diocese of Jalandhar in tandem with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, a new social service society was formed, on January 2008 for the social political, cultural and economical development of underprivileged and the poor.
Fr. Antony was elected as its first executive secretary and entrusted with responsibility to register the society with Govt. as an NGO, and to mobilize funds for the developmental works. With the assistance from the Caritas India, Diocesan perspective plan was drawn (DPP) and the vision and mission was made very clear.
The society got its official recognition on 16th July 2008. It was Registered under the Societies Registration Act. (XXI of 1860) and as the demanded by Punjab Amendment Act. 1957